Monday, May 13, 2013

Sunday Morning Service


Audio Access Available Above
“The Real Deal” • 5.12.13 • Calvary Christian Fellowship, Sunday Morning Service
Intro.
- Paul's great concern for the Corinthians was that they had begun to walk away from the simplicity that is in Christ. He has given us a portrait of what the false teachers were selling them.
- They preached another Jesus, presented another spirit and proclaimed a different gospel leading to an environment that bled them dry in an endless cycle of spiritual abuse.
- Paul asks them with all incredulity, "You put up with this!?" This was why Paul has passionately tried to bring them back to where they began. Their history with God began with Paul.
- Today, Paul provides us with a portrait of what a real minister should look like and challenges us with the type of love that had for God and the Corinthians. 
Text
II Corinthians 11:22 : "Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I." : The false teachers claimed cultural, national and religious authority. Paul was equal to them on each of these accounts.
II Corinthians 11:23 : "Are they ministers of Christ?—I speak as a fool—I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often." : They are servants of Christ you say! I say, I am more of a servant! Paul said this regrettably, having been coerced into this conversation.
- He was more eminently qualified, but not because of his appearance or speaking ability. He was involved in hard labor for the gospel. His body bore the scars of the wounds that he received.
- There were stripes or woundings above measure, or without number. It's as if Paul is saying, "I stopped counting!" Because of Christ, he frequented prisons and was close to death often!
II Corinthians 11:24,25 : "From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep;" : 195. That's how many whippings that Paul received for preaching the gospel to the Jews!
- In addition, another three times Paul was beaten with rods, caned by the Gentiles.
- One time in Lystra he was stoned! We get to read through one shipwreck in the book of Acts, but there were two others that we have no info about. No wonder Paul was so vocal in Acts 27!
II Corinthians 11:26-29 : "in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness—besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I do not burn with indignation?" : The NIV translates verse 26, saying, "I have been constantly on the move!" It never not let up for the Apostle.
- Dangers surrounded him wherever he went! Danger in the water, literally in rivers or streams, which were remote and unsafe areas. While on land, danger from the unsafe roads and byways.
- In Israel, danger from his countrymen and out of Israel, from the Gentiles!
- When he was in a given city, as well as in the wilderness, there was danger. The sea was as treacherous to him as the false brethren he had to face.
- When he was beaten, he never took the time to recover and this made the work that he did even more painful and difficult.
- There were sleepless nights due both to hunger and thirst. Some times, he'd be fasting, knowing that that was required if spiritual victory was to be had.
- He suffered from the elements and was poorly clothed, not physically naked. The issue is that there were times when he was caught in weather that he was ill-prepared for.
- Besides all that, there were the mental gymnastics that he had to deal with daily, all of which focused on the churches that stemmed from his abiding concern, speaking of divided attention.
- Whenever he heard of someone in weakness, he entered into their weakness. Whenever any person was offended, scandalized, tripped up by another, he became very angry.
- Paul got angry when he saw believers treated in such a demeaning way. Even when he was far away from them physically, they were always on his heart.
II Corinthians 11:30-33 : "If I must boast, I will boast in the things which concern my infirmity. The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying. In Damascus the governor, under Aretas the king, was guarding the city of the Damascenes with a garrison, desiring to arrest me; but I was let down in a basket through a window in the wall, and escaped from his hands." : If you really wanted to hear Paul brag about something, he would choose the topic of his illness. God was His witness and saw his plight in Damascus.
- Paul had been blinded there and was recovering. He preached Jesus and found an immediately hostile response.
- The Christians at Damascus let him down off of the wall with a large basket and Paul escaped. What is the meaning of this story? Paul intends them to know the difference.
- This was what authentic Apostles had to deal with. He had to escape as though a criminal. Had any of the false prophets sought anything but everyone's honor?
II Corinthians 12:1-4 : "It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord: I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven. And I know such a man—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows— how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter." : "This will get me nowhere," Paul says, "but since we're already on this track let's talk visions and revelations!" A vision is a sight given by God to a person.
- A revelation is something that has been clearly unveiled, made known. These were sights and clarity that pertained to the Lord and life in Him, extending to life beyond this earth!
- Paul tells a story that is purposely ambiguous. He knows somebody who had an experience with the third heaven! The first two refer to the sky and space. Then, the third heaven is God's place!
- Paul could not say for certain what had happened. He is not sure if he was there physically or in his mind, but he was there!
- Paul had been caught up, the same word for "raptured" in latin, into "Paradise." When he was there, he heard inexpressible words, referring to their sacred nature.
- It would be a crime to tell you, meaning that any words he would use would fall short!
  - Notice by the way, that this is the first time that Paul mentions this. It's been 14 years and he's kept it a secret. What do you think the false teachers would have done with this experience?
II Corinthians 12:5,6 : "Of such a one I will boast; yet of myself I will not boast, except in my infirmities. For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me." : Of such a one I will boast. Who? The one who caught him up, who revealed these things to him, who allowed him to hear these things.
- What was Paul going to boast of? He could not have brought himself into God's realm that God controls! Paul realized something about himself.
- He might want to boast but would not because it would take away from his message!
II Corinthians 12:6 (NLT) : "I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message."
- Here again is a fundamental difference between the true Apostle and the false Apostles. Paul did not want to draw attention to himself. The message was what was important!
- Some would say that what they need is signs, wonders, experiences. Not Paul!
II Corinthians 12:7 : "And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure." : Paul might get a big head!
- He might be tempted to think more of himself than he should because of these experiences.
- Because he had been given these, he was also give a thorn, a sharp stake, in the flesh of in his body likely referring to a prolonged illness of some sort.
- Wait God! He's your servant and a servant who is excellent. DId Paul complain about it? No.
- This was how he interpreted it: It was given to him as one is given a gift! The false teachers and some of the Corinthians likely thought it was a curse, or maybe even a lack of faith!
- It was physical in nature, the word "flesh" speaking of our body, but it used by Satan in a spiritual way. It's presence was employed by Satan to buffet Paul.
- God allowed this suffering in Paul's life for a redemptive end, to prevent pride. Paul knew that with every ounce of suffering, a pound of godly character was gained!
- At the same time Satan took the opportunity to lie to the Apostle about it.
- "It's because you've done something bad and God is punishing you." Or, "Maybe it's true what every one seems to be saying and God doesn't really love you that much after all?"
- He just kept on buffeting, the word is also translated "harass" and "torment."
- Satan used this thorn to beat the Apostle up mentally and mercilessly. I mention this because Satan cannot touch you without God's hands allowing him to do so!
- This was a sovereign act of God, surgically chosing trials that are meant to bring good. Paul saw it as a measure that preotected him from pride, making him more dependant upon the Lord.
II Corinthians 12:8-10 : "Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." : Did that mean that Paul just accepted this thorn without asking for divine assistance? No way!
- Concerning this thing, this situation, Paul, the Apostle, plead repeatedly with the Lord that it would depart from him. Paul was not a masochist! He did not enjoy suffering!
- Yet, Paul with his words, could not change his situation any more than any of us! There is a divine time table for suffering that only God knows!
- Paul prayed three times. Most view this as a euphemistic way of saying "continuously." I prayed that it'd be taken from me over and over again.
- Notice that "He said" to Paul. God hears your prayers and He will speak to you as He did Paul! The Lord's sheep hear His voice and Paul got an answer.
- God always answers prayers and in the same categories each time: Yes, no or wait! In this case, God's answer was no. He would not heal or remove that which buffeted Paul.
- Paul's prayers, good service, great love for the Lord, did not move God's heart to answer!
- But if that is the case, understand that He will allow more of His grace to make up for what you lack! He said, "My grace is sufficient for you." His favor is unfailing in it's potency for you!
- It's enough for you, for His strength is made perfect, complete, made full in weakness! The more pressure is applied, the sweeter the flow of grace strength comes to you!
- That's why Paul would boast in his illnesses! God's power rested, fixed a tent, upon Paul!
- This was why Paul took pleasure or was content in these things as he was determined to see it as useful in Christ! Paul was content in infirmities, illnesses.
- He was content when he was insulted, the word coming from the word "hubris." People insulted Paul because they saw themselves as greater than the Apostle..
- Paul was content when he had need due to circumstances. He was content during times of persecution and narrowness for the sake of the faith.
- Why? Because when Paul was weakest, God in Paul was the strongest! Doesn't that make sense? Where do you get the strength to carry on when you don't want to? That's God!
- Where do you get the love that you don't have for someone? From God!
- When you are at your lowest ebb, He begins to work mightily on your behalf!
II Corinthians 12:11-13 : "I have become a fool in boasting; you have compelled me. For I ought to have been commended by you; for in nothing was I behind the most eminent apostles, though I am nothing. Truly the signs of an apostle were accomplished among you with all perseverance, in signs and wonders and mighty deeds. For what is it in which you were inferior to other churches, except that I myself was not burdensome to you? Forgive me this wrong!" : The Corinthians had not been cheated in any way. They should have been thanking Paul for what he gave to them and thankful that he was not a burden to them in any way.
- They had as much as any church. They were as gifted as a church could be. How had Paul cheated them? By not being a burden!? That was Paul's only "crime" against them.
II Corinthians 12:14-18 : "Now for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be burdensome to you; for I do not seek yours, but you. For the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children. And I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved. But be that as it may, I did not burden you. Nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you by cunning! Did I take advantage of you by any of those whom I sent to you? I urged Titus, and sent our brother with him. Did Titus take advantage of you? Did we not walk in the same spirit? Did we not walk in the same steps?" : Paul's love for the church allowed him to come to them a third time.
- For every act of love, he is maligned, yet he continues to return! And why? Because he seeks them! He doesn't want anything from them. He just wants them.
- He illustrates this by speaking again as a parent to them, a parent who thinks about their children's futures and saves up for various things.
- It would be backward for the child to be thinking that they needed to lay up for their parent's future! Paul doesn't resent his position. In his mind, this is the way it should be!
- He says, "I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls!" For those who love someone, this is a very understandable phrase.
- I'm happy to expend, to invest and to be thoroughly exhausted in that enterprise! What a word for all who are parents! But, as with parents, the more Paul gave, the less he was loved!
- He continues to illustrate that neither he, nor any that he sent, Titus, the brother, took advantage of them. They all had the same testimony among the Corinthians.
II Corinthians 12:19-21 : "Again, do you think that we excuse ourselves to you? We speak before God in Christ. But we do all things, beloved, for your edification. For I fear lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I wish, and that I shall be found by you such as you do not wish; lest there be contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, backbitings, whisperings, conceits, tumults; lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and I shall mourn for many who have sinned before and have not repented of the uncleanness, fornication, and lewdness which they have practiced." : The Apostles did not need to repeatedly apologize for or justify their behavior before the Corinthians.
- They spoke before God's audience in Christ. That's who they lived for and that's who they spoke for, but because they had driven them to speak this way, this was for their building up!
- Despite all of this, a fear remained in Paul's heart that he would find this virgin daughter, not as he wanted to find her, but in quite another way!
- As a result they would see Paul not as the loving Father figure, proud and grateful, but broken because of their sin.
- What was he afraid to find? Contentions or wranglings. Jealousies. Outburst of wrath, a word that was used to describe a person who was over full with wine. Think nasty drunk!
- It would kill Paul to see selfish ambitions or "electioneering." Backbiting is such an ugly word, speaking of defamation, character assassination. That's the loud version of whisperings!
- He did not want to see them bloated with pride or in a general state of confusion! That would cause the Apostle to mourn in front of them because of the issues that they had not dealt with!
- What issues was he referring to? Their uncleanness, fornication and lewdness that they had practiced. Their impurity of thought. Their "porneia" or sexual expression out of marriage.
- He was afraid to find them in lewdness which speaks to unbridled lust. Paul was hoping that their repentance had caused them to completely turn from these things.
Conclusion
- It had cost Paul personally to come to Corinth with the gospel. He experienced incredible suffering and hardship, but his love for God and the gospel propelled him forward.
- His Pastoral heart is on complete display: He wants them to enjoy God and the simplicity that is found in obedience and a love relationship with Jesus Christ. He'll pay anything for that!
- Now, ask yourself this: What cost are you willing to pay to see someone free like this? What will it take? Who will you spend and be spent for?
- Yes it will be our family, our kids, our spouses. Will it not also be our neighbors and friends? May we leave here with a measure of the love that Paul had for the Corinthians.
- May we love when it's misunderstood, when it's not returned and when it's personally painful, for that will be the beginning of God's strength!

No comments: