I Corinthians 9 (Click scripture reference for audio access)
“God's Program Or My RIghts?” • 11.04.12
• Calvary Christian Fellowship, Sunday Morning Service
Intro.
- In chapter 8, Paul deals with areas of personal liberty which, though not
intrinsically sinful, were potentially harmful to those with weak consciences.
- To blatantly promote a freedom, entiicing a
brother or sister to reject their conscience, was a sin which led Paul to make this
dramatic statement at the end of chapter 8.
• I
Corinthians 8:13 : "Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will
never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble."
- You can almost perceive a grumble
from the crowd. "He would never do that!" But Paul had forsaken his
rights. Chapter 9 serves as Paul's illustration. He lays it
out for us like this:
Text
• I Corinthians 9:1,2 : “Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen
Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? If I am not an apostle
to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the seal of my apostleship in
the Lord.” : Paul was an emissary, sent with a mission that came
directly from the Lord Jesus.
- He had encountered the Lord personally in His
post resurrection glory on the road to Damascus, where his commission began.
Paul was free, able to exercise all apostolic liberty.
- An intriguing argument to the Corinthians
however, was their own existence! Others could openly question Paul's
credentials, but the Corinthians could not.
- Their spiritual health, their understanding
of the Lord's Word, their gifting in the Holy Spirit, was facilitated by the
Apostle's 16 month plus tenure with them!
- When one considers the work of a church,
those within who have seen fruit borne in their lives can duly testify to the
reality within. The Corinthians were "the seal" of Paul's
apostleship.
- The “seal” was a mark made by a signet ring,
usually in wax, indicating ownership and authenticity. This was the ancient way
of insuring identity protection.
- The Corinthians themselves were the proof of
Paul’s calling! Had he been a fraud, they would never have been established. He
goes on.
• I Corinthians 9:3-6 : “My defense to those who examine me is this: Do we have no right to eat and drink? Do we have no right to take along a believing
wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?
Or is it only Barnabas and I who have
no right to refrain from working?” : We will get a stronger sense of
the opposition to Paul in II Corinthians
but we see the seeds of it here.
- The language indicates that there were standing
questions against Paul and this was his answer, his apologetic to them. He
states it rhetorically.
- Don't we have certain rights? To eat or
drink? To bring along a wife? The answer is yes.
- Notice his language. We have rights! This
ties to what he had talked about in chapter 8. Paul's ministry brought him
certain freedoms.
- Apostles, even from the earliest days of the
church had the right to eat and drink, ie. from the support of the church, this
extended to any family, ie. a wife, that would accompany them.
- The people did not object to supporting the
brothers of the Lord and Peter bringing their wives. The Corinthians did not
complain when it came to supporting these men.
- The apostles had all the freedom to enjoy
support from those they ministered to and it was right for the churches that
they ministered in, to provide for their basic needs.
- The Corinthians thought differently toward
Paul and Barnabas. When Paul was in Corinth, he spent his days working as a
tent maker with Priscilla and Aquia. (Acts
18:2)
- The Greek mind looked down on menial labor
giving birth to the thought that Paul was inferior to the other apostles.
"We don't have to pay him, so he must not be a real apostle!"
- But this is not what was expected in any
other line of work. He gives them three examples.
• I Corinthians 9:7 : "Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants
a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not
drink of the milk of the flock?” : In wartime, soldiers are not expected to
fight and then work a normal job so that they can afford their munitions! We rightly expect them to be separated
unto their work.
- The vineyard worker works for a wage and
gets to enjoy some of the fruit. The same goes for Shepherds. It's interesting
that Paul employs these three common jobs.
- An Apostle then and a Pastor now fights a
fight for his people that they are rarely aware of. He labors to plant them so
that they will bear fruit and he cares for them, that they would walk right.
- If you believe that these are worthy of a
wage, how much more an Apostle? In your human experience, who works for free?
- Human experience aside, the law of God
also spoke to this principle.
•
I Corinthians 9:8-10 : "Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the
law say the same also? For it
is written in the law of Moses, ‘You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out
the grain.’ Is it oxen God is concerned about? Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this
is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope
should be partaker of his hope.” : Paul will not let it suffice to
give only secular illustrations. He does not want to speak as a mere man so he
quotes from Deuteronomy 25:4.
- The concept of that verse refers to the
feeding of the animal that is working. That beast needs food to continue to
work and it is right to feed it and satisfy it's hopes.
- Paul rightly understands that while God
is interested in cattle in terms of good and right treatment, the purpose for
putting this in scripture was to illustrate a spiritual point.
˚ "Since
oxen cannot read, this verse was not written for them!" Warren Wiersbe
- An ox would be fed. That was the hope. The
one who plows and the one who thresh the wheat, sometimes the same guy, does so
with a hope of enjoying some of the harvest.
- A worker in Christ needs to have that same hope,
knowing that he does not have to leave the job of ministry for another job!
- The one who works should have a hope of
partaking of what that work produces. There is a harvest that is coming and
with it is an expectation of sharing.
• I
Corinthians 9:11-14 : "If we
have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your
material things? If others
are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we
have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of
Christ. Do you not know that
those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who
serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who
preach the gospel should live from the gospel." : Like a farmer, Paul had sown spiritual things in them?
- He had labored in the Word, spent
time in thoughtful prayer, answered the call to counsel. Paul had sown
spiritual things. These were spiritual things. It was done unto the Lord for
their sake.
- Because that was so enriching to
them, what were material things? To those with the correct perspective, this
was not a big deal to part with.
- Spiritual value is worth at the
very least, material value, though we know it's of greater value.
- Notice Verse 12: “Nevertheless we
have not used this right.” It was right that they should take of whatever funds
were available to them even as other had. Paul and Barnabas dd not!
- He would not take a living from the gospel
lest that right hinder the gospel of Christ. This does not mean that others
should not. In the case of Barnabas and Paul, they would not.
- For them specifically, there were dynamics
involved that would have hindered their mission. One gets the idea that Paul
was referring to the Corinthians attitudes.
- It's possible that they would have created a
huge stink over Paul's action and muddied his reputation with their complaints.
Aside from those particulars, every minister faces a similar decision.
- Some ministers have the opportunity to be
fully supported and consecrated to the work, while others need other
employment.
- Paul and Barnabas made this decision with the
gospel in mind. They did not want to hinder, literally place a roadblock toward
the progress of the gospel mission.
- His rights were akin to those of a Levitical
priest who served and was given of the offerings.
- For those who have studied Leviticus with us,
you will remember that the Priests were given part of the sacrifices for their
food, territories for their homes and cattle for their families income.
- The people of Israel that they served were
required to give toward that end.
- And if that were not enough, Jesus the Lord
explicitly endorses the idea that His disciples should "live from the
gospel." Jesus talks about this in Luke 9:1-6 and in Luke
10:1-10.
• Luke 10:7 : "And remain in the same house, eating and drinking
such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go
from house to house." : How much more had the Lord commanded that
those who preach the gospel earn their living by the gospel.
• I Corinthians 9:15-19 : "But I have used none of these things, nor have I
written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better
for me to die than that any one should make my boasting void. For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to
boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the
gospel! For if I do this
willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with
a stewardship. What is my reward
then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without
charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel." : Paul
wasn't saying this to manipulate them or change their policy toward him. He
would rather die and I'm pretty sure that he wasn't exaggerating!
- For those who are truly called to the
ministry, money is never the issue. They are not looking to make more than
everyone else. They just need to make enough.
- Paul's heart echoes that of the truly called
minister. He was forced to preached the gospel. "Woe is me" means
"I am miserable if I don't." His priority was the Lord's work.
- "If I had the means, I would pay you to
sit here and listen while I preached! I must do this. Everything in my life
centers around the blessing to share God's Word."
- Paul knew that the secret to a great life,
was to live out and live for, the call of God and toward any who work for the
Lord, there is a promise of a reward.
- His reward was to present the gospel free
of charge. In other words, It was enough that Paul had the chance to preach!
- For a man who had been a blasphemer destined
for hell to preach about salvation and that he was going to go to heaven and
you could to, was indeed reward enough!
- He did not want to hinder the preaching of
the gospel, his ministry, by invoking and sticking to His rights. He did this
to protect the integrity of the mission and to guard against himself.
- Paul was aware that financial support
could help, but it could also hinder. He did not want to take the chance.
• I Corinthians 9:19-23 : "For though I am free from all men, I have made
myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I
might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might
win those who are under the law; to
those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God,
but under law toward Christ, that I might win those who are without law;
to the weak I became as weak, that I
might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all
means save some. Now this I do
for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.” : The ministry
of the word burned in Paul's soul and was going to preach it until his dying
breath. He was free from all men, unbound by tradition.
- But, as a free man, Paul makes a choice to serve
all because the payoff would be the possibility of salvation for some. The message
was static but the method was dynamic.
- He would tailor his methods toward each
group of people, so as to limit offense and maximize potential.
- He tells them this to explain his mission, as
well as to defend against what some of them misunderstood for waffling before
different groups.
- Paul explains that did not want to offend
by using a method that would silence the message. So to the Jews he became as a
Jew. To the Gentiles, a Gentile, the weak as one who is weak, etc
- He carried the gospel to each group in a
way that gave them the chance to hear it best!
- This is a particular challenge in our day,
when our freedom to speak about anything might seriously detract from the
gospel message.
- In these highly charged political days, some
might believe that the only way to be a Christian is to vote for a Mormon!
- Perhaps your platform is not a political one,
but a moral one. Your freedom to promote certain values may jeopardize your
voice to others.
- "I have the right to say what I want.
That's called freedom of speech." Yes you do. Paul is saying that he
wanted to be free not to speak if it meant a clearer voice for the gospel.
- He sums it up in verse 22: I have become
all things to all people that I might save some! This is the focus needed in
each of our lives when we consider what is at stake!
- Souls, lives, eternities are on the line
and if I love my freedom more than those around me, the ones to whom I am
called, then I will have missed the greatest opportunity.
- If they become republicans who home school
their children and don't listen to secular music or watch television, then I've
succeeded in changing the opnions of a person headed to hell!
- But if my message is the gospel, trusting
in Jesus, repenting from known sin, then I have seen a soul changed, and let
the Holy Spirit change their politics and moral life!
• I Corinthians 9:24-27 : “Do you not know that those who run in a race all
run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is
temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we
for an imperishable crown. Therefore
I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.
But I discipline my body and bring it
into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become
disqualified.” : In Pauline literature, there are about 12 allusions
taken from the sports world.
- The nature of competition was to run for
the purpose of winning a prize. Nobody shows up wanting to come in second. Everyone
wants to win. This is why we keep score!
- He is saying that if I am going to do the
work that the Lord wants me to do, then I had better live my life in view of
the prize.
- This is
supposed to be our mentality. We are to live in light of what we are running
for. Everyone athlete in the Isthmian games were temperate, self-governed,
disciplined.
- They agreed to a very minimalist
lifestyle, refusing certain foods, late nights and even sex! They were extreme!
And for what? A crown that was given that was made of lettuce! LETTUCE!?
- Literally, without the aid of
refrigeration, that lettuce crown would wilt very quickly. If they ran and
prepared with great diligence for that, how much more should we run for the
imperishable crown.
- Often times it comes down to this: What am I
running for? Whose approval am I seeking? Are you living for something that
will be destroyed in a matter of years or for something eternal?
- Paul equates his actions as akin to the
athlete. By giving up his rights, he was disciplined and brought into
subjection. Literally, treating himself like a slave, so that he would not be
disqualified.
- Paul is talking about ministering the
gospel to people. He did not want to lose his reward. The illustration has to be
taken in context.
- The point is not to lose salvation, but
rather to lose an opportunity and be out of the game!
Conclusion
- If the point of chapter 8 is that I will love God's people more than my rights, then the point of chapter 9 is that I will love God's program more than my rights!
- If the point of chapter 8 is that I will love God's people more than my rights, then the point of chapter 9 is that I will love God's program more than my rights!
- Let me suggest some statements that help us
to focus our attention on the purpose of chapter 9.
- I will forego my rights in order that
ministry to others is unhindered. Is the gospel hindered by your rights today?
- I will forego my rights for the sake of my
reward. In some way, you can get the reward of your rights now or you can wait
for one that comes from the Lord. Which do you value more?
- I will forego my rights for the sake of the
possibility of someone's salvation. Need we say more? I have a feeling this
says it all!
No comments:
Post a Comment