Acts 18-20
"Paul's Disciples" • 4.21.09 • The Power Of One: One Man, One Life, One Mission, Session #19
Intro.
- Paul's second missionary journey becomes very focused as we approach chapters 18-20.
- There is less evangelism and more establishment, as that was the need of that time. Paul focuses his attention on the regions of Corinth and Ephesus.
- Acts 18:11 tells us that Paul spent a year and a half in Corinth. In Acts 18:19, Paul left his friends Priscilla and Aquila in Ephesus to supervise the activities of the church.
- Acts 19 marks the continuing radical story of Paul's ministry in Ephesus.
• Acts 19:8-10 : "And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks."
- As usual, God's ministry through Paul brought miracles as well as mighty uproars. Finally, it's is time for Paul to move on from the disciples at Ephesus.
- In Acts 20:17, Paul calls his final elders meeting for the church at Ephesus. It's his final face to face address with the elders.
- In my estimation, there is much that can be learned from the things that Paul shares with these men, men he is attempting to influence, men who consider themselves disciples.
- To me, this address is a manifesto. It's a keypoint. It's a time of transference.
- Consider the context. These men have been with Paul for sometime. They have learned from and loved this man. Now, he leaves them with these final thoughts for them to grow on.
- Consider the lessons behind these words. Paul exemplified these ethics.
Text
- From day one, Paul kept to the program and the pattern of ministry.
- He served the Lord with all humility. Literally, with lowliness of mind. Turn with me to Philippians 2. Paul speaks to the Philippians about this concept.
• Philippians 2:3,4 : "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."
- This was Paul's modus operandi. This set of scriptures defined how he wanted to live.
- Paul was not a man that was puffed up with his position. He did not Lord his authority over the other guys. He did not push his position on people. He was a fellow worker.
- He served this way in good times and when times were tough. He notes here the many trials that came upon him as a result of the Jewish people that rejected his message.
- In Acts 18:12, the Jews rose up against Paul and took him before Gallio. In Acts 20:3, the Jews again plotted against him. He still served the Lord, unwilling to change course.
- He gave what had been given to him, before any audience that would listen.
- He proclaimed it to them, teaching them about the main thing: repentance toward God and faith toward Jesus Christ.
- One thing that I love about certain men that have walked with the Lord for a long time, is that I always catch them doing the same thing that they were doing the last time I was with them.
- Their example to me is the same as Paul's. There is no pretense. No show. They have just discovered what God wants them to do, they have done it and now they are just repeating!
- Paul was not one to exploit his greatness, commend his own creativity or give credit to his own flesh.
- Turn with me to Micah 6. Micah is writing about a mock trial between the people of Judah and God. Micah says, "What shall I bring to this God?"
• Micah 6:8 : "He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?"
- Paul was a man who lived like this. No wonder he said, "Imitate me as I imitate Christ." Let us desire to do the same.
• Acts 20:22-25 : "And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, will see my face no more." : Paul tells the elders of this church, "I'm going and every step that I take from here will be one marked with new sufferings." Paul would be imprisoned and face tribulations. These would be his course.
- This is a man whose walk with God began with this knowledge! Turn with me to Acts 9.
• Acts 9:15,16 : "But the Lord said to him, 'Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake.'"
- Paul always knew that this was his course. He tells the elders that this knowledge does not "move him." Note this: The chains, the tribulations, the heaviness are not great enough motivating factors to make him alter his course! What a phenomenol statement!
- In our world today if a man has a headache and a hang nail, that might be enough to stop him from coming to church!
- Paul tells these boys, neither tribulation, trouble or thought of my own life will keep me from what truly motivates me, namely that he finish the race.
- Guys, do you hear this man's heart? Do you wonder what it takes to be a man of God? Do you want to be a man of impact? If you would be, your heart says a hearty AMEN to Paul's words!
- Paul is going to preach and testify, just as he has always done. He is able to move on because of what he says next because of what he says next.
• Acts 20:26,27 : "Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God."
- Since Paul is leaving them and will not be seeing them again, Paul declares what is the "safety" position of anybody's ministry.
- Paul leaves these men in the best possible position. He has left them as equipped as possible by not failing to declare the whole counsel of God.
- The word "counsel," as I understand it, is to declare all of God's purpose for them, especially in context, the purpose of God in the matters of salvation.
- Remember that at this time, there was less organization when it came to the church. This led to a much more "outreach" focused group of people, so Paul's focus would naturally be on the gospel.
- That was the struggle of their time. Leaving their context for just a moment, this verse remains one of the foundational points for all Pastors and a personal one for me.
- I want to, in the time that I have, to declare to you the whole counsel of God. I don't want to give you my opinion or simply share out of the abundance of my heart.
- It's my job to give you God's heart! It's my duty to give you all of God's counsel that I can. For the first century church though, this was a matter of great consequence.
- From verses 28 and following, Paul tells them about false teachers, both from outside of the church as well as from the inside. These will be men that will not spare the flock of God.
- As the church grew, this became more and more of a concern. Consider this: Most of the books of the New Testament were composed in the 50's and 60's.
- From the mid-60's on, of the 9 books that are written 6 of them deal with false teachers, apostasy or anti-Christ spirits! Two-thirds of the final books contain at least a chapter devoted to that.
- Turn with me to Jude. Historically, most scholars have this book written in the same year as Paul's martyrdom. Listen to Jude's opening.
• Jude 3,4 : "Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ."
- Jude wanted to take up the theme of salvation, just like Paul had. Instead, the times dictated a much different message because of the presence of falsehood.
- Considering that this would be the case, some 14 years earler, Paul tells the Ephesian elders that this was the tide that was coming. What is the cure? What should they do?
• Acts 20:32 : "So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified."
- Do you want to be safe? Run into God's Word. Why? Because it is able to build you up.
- Some recommend that we study every cult, all of their arguments and every one of their statements. Paul says no! He commends them to the word of His grace!
- Turn with me to Romans 16. Paul, speaking about this same topic, says,
• Romans 16:19,20 : "For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil. And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."
• Acts 20:33-35 : "I have coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel. Yes, you yourselves know that these hands have provided for my necessities, and for those who were with me. I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" : Paul was dedicated to the work of the Word, both in and out of the church. He gave complete counsel and commended the Word.
- Here we learn that he did so from his own resource.
- Paul was not out to profit from the gospel. He was not looking to drive the nicest car or wear the best clothes.
- Already at this early time in church history, there were men who were beginning to see monetary value in the gospel. You will recall Simon the Magician who offered to buy Peter's power!
- Paul reminds them that he was not a burden to any of them financially. Paul launches into a full explanation of his decision not to receive even a salary from the ministry in I Corinthians 9.
- In Paul's words, there is a rebuke against greed and an exhortation that when possible, the use of any funds received, is to be made available to those who are weak.
- Paul labored like this and supported the weak theologically. He preached to them. He gave them of the riches of Christ.
- It was also true that he labored in this way to help support those who were with him. He showed them that this was the way to live out their ministries.
- Turn with me to Philippians 4. We have looked at these verses before, but in our society, their repetition is very necessary.
• Philippians 4:11,12 : "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."
- What a diametric difference in the message of today, which is often that the gospel will give you all that you need and want! Paul's message was the opposite. "What I've gained I've gained to give away!"
- What I have is yours. Paul understands that God has given TO him, so that He might now give THROUGH him!
- God would now support the weak through Paul's work, Paul affirming the words of the Lord, that it is more blessed to give than to receive.
- Where did Jesus say this? We understand that Jesus said and did a lot more than was written, but here, Paul gives us this little nugget that is more than a matronly admonition.
- This is the very heart of God and Paul is tapped in. He knows that the way to be blessed is to be a blessing! He knows that if he wants to receive, he will give away.
- He knows that if he loses his life for the sake of Christ, then and only then, will he find it!
Conclusion
- Paul was dedicated to the Work of the Word, consistently modeling this in humility.
- Paul was dedicated to giving the fruit of the Word in it's totality, not skipping anything.
- Finally, Paul was dedicated to living out the Word, looking to others over and above himself.
"Paul's Disciples" • 4.21.09 • The Power Of One: One Man, One Life, One Mission, Session #19
Intro.
- Paul's second missionary journey becomes very focused as we approach chapters 18-20.
- There is less evangelism and more establishment, as that was the need of that time. Paul focuses his attention on the regions of Corinth and Ephesus.
- Acts 18:11 tells us that Paul spent a year and a half in Corinth. In Acts 18:19, Paul left his friends Priscilla and Aquila in Ephesus to supervise the activities of the church.
- Acts 19 marks the continuing radical story of Paul's ministry in Ephesus.
• Acts 19:8-10 : "And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks."
- As usual, God's ministry through Paul brought miracles as well as mighty uproars. Finally, it's is time for Paul to move on from the disciples at Ephesus.
- In Acts 20:17, Paul calls his final elders meeting for the church at Ephesus. It's his final face to face address with the elders.
- In my estimation, there is much that can be learned from the things that Paul shares with these men, men he is attempting to influence, men who consider themselves disciples.
- To me, this address is a manifesto. It's a keypoint. It's a time of transference.
- Consider the context. These men have been with Paul for sometime. They have learned from and loved this man. Now, he leaves them with these final thoughts for them to grow on.
- Consider the lessons behind these words. Paul exemplified these ethics.
I. He Was Consistent (v.18-21)
II. He Gave Complete Counsel (v.22-32)
III. He Did Not Covet Riches (v.33-35)
II. He Gave Complete Counsel (v.22-32)
III. He Did Not Covet Riches (v.33-35)
Text
I. He Was Consistent (v.18-21)
• Acts 20:18-21 : "And when they had come to him, he said to them: 'You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I always lived among you, serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears and trials which happened to me by the plotting of the Jews; how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house, testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." : Paul addresses his elders drawing their attention to his example.- From day one, Paul kept to the program and the pattern of ministry.
- He served the Lord with all humility. Literally, with lowliness of mind. Turn with me to Philippians 2. Paul speaks to the Philippians about this concept.
• Philippians 2:3,4 : "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."
- This was Paul's modus operandi. This set of scriptures defined how he wanted to live.
- Paul was not a man that was puffed up with his position. He did not Lord his authority over the other guys. He did not push his position on people. He was a fellow worker.
- He served this way in good times and when times were tough. He notes here the many trials that came upon him as a result of the Jewish people that rejected his message.
- In Acts 18:12, the Jews rose up against Paul and took him before Gallio. In Acts 20:3, the Jews again plotted against him. He still served the Lord, unwilling to change course.
- He gave what had been given to him, before any audience that would listen.
- He proclaimed it to them, teaching them about the main thing: repentance toward God and faith toward Jesus Christ.
- One thing that I love about certain men that have walked with the Lord for a long time, is that I always catch them doing the same thing that they were doing the last time I was with them.
- Their example to me is the same as Paul's. There is no pretense. No show. They have just discovered what God wants them to do, they have done it and now they are just repeating!
- Paul was not one to exploit his greatness, commend his own creativity or give credit to his own flesh.
- Turn with me to Micah 6. Micah is writing about a mock trial between the people of Judah and God. Micah says, "What shall I bring to this God?"
• Micah 6:8 : "He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?"
- Paul was a man who lived like this. No wonder he said, "Imitate me as I imitate Christ." Let us desire to do the same.
II. He Gave Complete Counsel (v.22-32)
• Acts 20:22-25 : "And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, will see my face no more." : Paul tells the elders of this church, "I'm going and every step that I take from here will be one marked with new sufferings." Paul would be imprisoned and face tribulations. These would be his course.
- This is a man whose walk with God began with this knowledge! Turn with me to Acts 9.
• Acts 9:15,16 : "But the Lord said to him, 'Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake.'"
- Paul always knew that this was his course. He tells the elders that this knowledge does not "move him." Note this: The chains, the tribulations, the heaviness are not great enough motivating factors to make him alter his course! What a phenomenol statement!
- In our world today if a man has a headache and a hang nail, that might be enough to stop him from coming to church!
- Paul tells these boys, neither tribulation, trouble or thought of my own life will keep me from what truly motivates me, namely that he finish the race.
- Guys, do you hear this man's heart? Do you wonder what it takes to be a man of God? Do you want to be a man of impact? If you would be, your heart says a hearty AMEN to Paul's words!
- Paul is going to preach and testify, just as he has always done. He is able to move on because of what he says next because of what he says next.
• Acts 20:26,27 : "Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God."
- Since Paul is leaving them and will not be seeing them again, Paul declares what is the "safety" position of anybody's ministry.
- Paul leaves these men in the best possible position. He has left them as equipped as possible by not failing to declare the whole counsel of God.
- The word "counsel," as I understand it, is to declare all of God's purpose for them, especially in context, the purpose of God in the matters of salvation.
- Remember that at this time, there was less organization when it came to the church. This led to a much more "outreach" focused group of people, so Paul's focus would naturally be on the gospel.
- That was the struggle of their time. Leaving their context for just a moment, this verse remains one of the foundational points for all Pastors and a personal one for me.
- I want to, in the time that I have, to declare to you the whole counsel of God. I don't want to give you my opinion or simply share out of the abundance of my heart.
- It's my job to give you God's heart! It's my duty to give you all of God's counsel that I can. For the first century church though, this was a matter of great consequence.
- From verses 28 and following, Paul tells them about false teachers, both from outside of the church as well as from the inside. These will be men that will not spare the flock of God.
- As the church grew, this became more and more of a concern. Consider this: Most of the books of the New Testament were composed in the 50's and 60's.
- From the mid-60's on, of the 9 books that are written 6 of them deal with false teachers, apostasy or anti-Christ spirits! Two-thirds of the final books contain at least a chapter devoted to that.
- Turn with me to Jude. Historically, most scholars have this book written in the same year as Paul's martyrdom. Listen to Jude's opening.
• Jude 3,4 : "Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ."
- Jude wanted to take up the theme of salvation, just like Paul had. Instead, the times dictated a much different message because of the presence of falsehood.
- Considering that this would be the case, some 14 years earler, Paul tells the Ephesian elders that this was the tide that was coming. What is the cure? What should they do?
• Acts 20:32 : "So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified."
- Do you want to be safe? Run into God's Word. Why? Because it is able to build you up.
- Some recommend that we study every cult, all of their arguments and every one of their statements. Paul says no! He commends them to the word of His grace!
- Turn with me to Romans 16. Paul, speaking about this same topic, says,
• Romans 16:19,20 : "For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil. And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."
III. He Did Not Covet Riches (v.33-35)
• Acts 20:33-35 : "I have coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel. Yes, you yourselves know that these hands have provided for my necessities, and for those who were with me. I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" : Paul was dedicated to the work of the Word, both in and out of the church. He gave complete counsel and commended the Word.
- Here we learn that he did so from his own resource.
- Paul was not out to profit from the gospel. He was not looking to drive the nicest car or wear the best clothes.
- Already at this early time in church history, there were men who were beginning to see monetary value in the gospel. You will recall Simon the Magician who offered to buy Peter's power!
- Paul reminds them that he was not a burden to any of them financially. Paul launches into a full explanation of his decision not to receive even a salary from the ministry in I Corinthians 9.
- In Paul's words, there is a rebuke against greed and an exhortation that when possible, the use of any funds received, is to be made available to those who are weak.
- Paul labored like this and supported the weak theologically. He preached to them. He gave them of the riches of Christ.
- It was also true that he labored in this way to help support those who were with him. He showed them that this was the way to live out their ministries.
- Turn with me to Philippians 4. We have looked at these verses before, but in our society, their repetition is very necessary.
• Philippians 4:11,12 : "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."
- What a diametric difference in the message of today, which is often that the gospel will give you all that you need and want! Paul's message was the opposite. "What I've gained I've gained to give away!"
- What I have is yours. Paul understands that God has given TO him, so that He might now give THROUGH him!
- God would now support the weak through Paul's work, Paul affirming the words of the Lord, that it is more blessed to give than to receive.
- Where did Jesus say this? We understand that Jesus said and did a lot more than was written, but here, Paul gives us this little nugget that is more than a matronly admonition.
- This is the very heart of God and Paul is tapped in. He knows that the way to be blessed is to be a blessing! He knows that if he wants to receive, he will give away.
- He knows that if he loses his life for the sake of Christ, then and only then, will he find it!
Conclusion
- Paul was dedicated to the Work of the Word, consistently modeling this in humility.
- Paul was dedicated to giving the fruit of the Word in it's totality, not skipping anything.
- Finally, Paul was dedicated to living out the Word, looking to others over and above himself.
1 comment:
1 Paul was a picture of consistency among the Ephesian eldership from the first to the last day. What areas of your life today could benefit from more consistency? Which areas are the most difficult to apply this to?
2 Paul gave the complete counsel of God to the Ephesian elders. Do you feel that you can make the same statement? If not, how will you rectify that situation, believing that our responsibility is the same toward God's word and His people? What deterrants keep us from fully participating in the ministry of God's Word to family, friends, et. all?
3 Paul did not covet riches for himself as he ministered the gospel. The opposite was in fact true, as he worked to support himself and those who worked with him. Without being explicit, what sort of things do you struggle with coveting? On the other side of the coin, do you struggle with coming alongside another and giving from what God has given you? From what resource can you begin to give today?
Post a Comment