Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Session #5

Whatever Happened To Sin!?
“Don't Give Me Attitude” • 8.12.08 • Men’s Summer Bible Study

Intro.

- Last week we talked about the sins that are rooted in the mentality of ungodliness. This week, we will discuss the sins that are rooted in our attitudes.
- We'll begin with discontentment. For the sake of being on the same page, we'll let Jerry Bridges define some parameters for us.
˚ "Discontentment, the subject of this chapter, most often arises from ongoing and unchanging circumstances that we can do nothing about."
pg. 71
- He mentions several negative issues that we all identify with, an unhappy marriage or continual poor health for example.
- Regardless of the unchanging circumstances, whether they be as severe as debilitating health, or as deflating as a discouraging job, discontentment is a real issue for all of us.
- A twin sin, the sin of unthankfulness, is covered in the next chapter. Jerry Bridges calls us on the carpet and reminds us that we are to give thanks to God for all situations.
˚ "Giving thanks to God for both His temporal and spiritual blessings in our lives is not just a nice thing to do- it is the moral will of God. Failure to give Him the thanks due Him is sin. It may seem like a benign sin to us because it doesn't harm anyone else. But it is an affront and insult to the One who created us and sustains us every second of our lives. And if, as Jesus so clearly stated, loving God with all our heart, soul and mind is the great and first commandment, then failure to give thanks to God as a habit of life is a violation of the greatest commandment."
pg. 81,82
- We next come to the sin of pride. 4 areas of pride are identified as common and "acceptable" in Christian sub-culture today.
- Pride in moral self-righteousness, pride in correct doctrine, pride in achievement and the pride of an independant spirit all effect each of us at one time or another.
- Finally, we will end with chapter 12, which covers the sin of selfishness.
- Again, Jerry Bridges covers 4 areas that selfishness expresses itself. We are often selfish in our interests, our time, our money and in being inconsiderate of others.
- In each of these areas of sin, there is a common theme that ails us. It's me-centeredness!
- I am discontented because I believe that I deserve better. I am unthankful because I am unpleased. I am proud because I am the standard. I am selfish because I am the only one worth pleasing.
- It's the same old tune: Me Me Me Me! Our eyes get fixed on one position, right upon ourselves. We gauge everyone else by what we think about ourselves.
- We look through the lens of life and see what makes us happy, what makes us spiritual and what makes us right, only to then superimpose these beliefs on all those around us.
- Today I want us to see the positive remedy for these sinful attitudes. Let me suggest that we need to decide to

I. Look Up!
II. Look Over!
III. Look Out!

Text

I. Look Up!

- The first thing that we have to decide as men, if we are to experience victory over these sins, is to choose to focus our eyes up. This concerns two points. First, there is a person to look up at.
- God is to be our focal point, Jesus Christ our champion.
- Turn with me to Hebrews 12. The writer of Hebrews has just spent all of chapter 11 writing what has become the Hall of Faith, bible heroes that preceded us. How did they do it?
Hebrews 12:1,2 : "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
- In the Old Testament, the men and women who were heroes of the faith, walked in that way because of the promise of the Messiah. They were saved by believing in what was promised.
- They went to their graves, redeemed because of a belief in God's Annointed, in Jesus.
- In the same way, we are saved by looking back upon that life fulfilled in Jesus.
- Deciding to look unto Jesus is key. His life is an example for us to emulate. In this section, I want to say that in this instance, Jesus is worth emulating because He kept His eyes forward.
- He went to the cross and endured the shame, because of the joy that was set before Him, namely our redemption accomplished, accomplishing peace with God and peace between ourselves.
- The second part of looking up concerns a proposition that requires that we look up.
- Turn with me to Philippians 3. Paul is comparing his old life in Judaism, to his new life in Christianity. He recognizes that there is still ever a higher call upon his, and indeed, our lives.
Philippians 3:12-14 : "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."
- I have to decide to see my life in light of eternity and what I am living for. I have to make a conscious choice, daily, to see beyond negative circumstances, and see what I am truly living for.
- Let me say here, that there are circumstances that are sincerely beyond comprehension. It's difficult sometimes, but God calls you to look up.
- He never calls us to do anything that He does not give us power to accomplish. What usually lacks in our will to comply.

II. Look Over!

- The next decision that we need to make is to look over to those who are around us. God has planted you and I in close proximity of one anothern and He has done this on purpose.
- He has exposed us to various trials and tribulations that each of us is experiencing. Part of the reason is that we might be responsible toward one another
. - A side benefit is that when we engage in each other's situations, in a healthy way, we will be relieved of that which is ailing us in the areas that we are discussing today.
- Consider a few verses with me. Let's begin at Galatians 6. This section of scripture is oft quoted by me, as I feel the need to repeat this particular theme.
Galatians 6:1,2 : "Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."
- Please note that Paul understands that there will be brothers who will blow it. They will be overtaken in trespass.
- The word "overtaken" has an element of surprise to it. It has come upon them quickly, their sin has quickly and adversely affected them. What responsibility is it of ours?
- Often like Cain, we think, "Am I my brother's keeper?" Without answering, God affirms that we are indeed our brothers keepers!
- Paul says, "You who are spiritual restore such a one." The word for "restore" as I understand it, is a term that speaks of a re-setting a broken bone.
- We who are spiritual, ie. whole and walking with Christ in fellowship, are called to put that broken spirit back into a place of spiritual health. God uses His people just for that purpose.
- This verse perfectly illustrates how interconnected we are. We are part of the body of Christ, and when I am tempted to be discontent, unthankful, full of pride or selfish in any way, I need to decide to be involved in the lives of people in my life.
- Why is that the case? I can share from personal experience, that counseling has been the greatest source of balance in my life.
- For example, when I am tempted to be discontent in my marriage, I can reference several situations that I have had personal involvement in through counseling, that far eclipse anything I am experiencing.
- The same can be said across the board. Often, the Lord gives me the opportunity to see the fruits of these sinful attitudes illustrated through lives. Bearing burdens brings me as close as I want to get to actually indulging in the same attitudes.
- Consider another verse with me. Turn over to Philippians 2. In this set of verses, Paul is demonstrating the humility that Christ exemplified in His life.
Philippians 2:3,4 : "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."
- Taking an interest in others, choosing to esteem others better than myself requires that I take attention away from myself. Choosing to involve myself takes energy away from my own issues.
- Does this mean that I am advocating nosiness, where we bud into each other's business uninvited? Not at all. But I am also not advocating a complete ignorance of what is happening.
- Listen to the reply when you ask how someone is doing. Does that person seem a little bummed? Find out! You don't see a brother at church for a spell? CALL!
- I am advocating being sensitive, looking out actively for ministry opportunities, hoping to connect to another brother who is willing to be ministered to.
- This will drastically cut into the sins of discontentment, unthankfulness and the like.

III. Look Out!

- Finally, the best way to get over discontment, unthankfulness, pride and selfishness, is to involve yourself in the commission of evangelism.
- It is rare to find someone engaged in the call, who has a problem with self-centeredness.
- Turn with me to II Timothy 4. These are quite literally the final words and admonitions of Paul to his student Pastor. These words then carry a certain weight both for Timothy and for us.
II Timothy 4:5 : "But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."
- Before you object please remember that evangelism is the chief obligation of each of the disciples. The great commission is for each one of us.
- What does it mean to do the work of an evangelist? Let me dispel the current belief. We have relegated the term "evangelist" to men like Greg Laurie and Billy Graham.
- These are evangelists, who are privileged to speak to masses of people. But if that is all evangelism is, we are in trouble. A very small percentage of people statistically, will ever attend events like the Harvest Crusade.
- What happens to the rest of the world? There are more people won to Christ from personal interaction than from stadium events.
- I don't want to detract from the value of stadium, mass evangelism. I only want to impress upon you the importance of taking this seriously, personally.
- The word "evangel" is akin to an announcer, a herald of news. Each of us has a part in that, and in fact, the large success of the early church was not simply in the work of the Apostles.
˚ "In truth, most of the missionary work was not carried out by the apostles, but rather by the countless and nameless Christians who for different reasons- persecution, business, or missionary calling- traveled from place to place taking the news of the Gospel with them."
Justo Gonzalez, The Story Of Christianity, pg. 30
- Will you join that throng of the nameless? We are called to exactly that.
- Again, I call you to be sensitive to ministry opportunities near you. The person in that cubicle across from you. The appointment at 3PM.
- You don't need to force the issue or make a spectacle of yourself, but will you start to ask the Lord to open doors for you to share with others?
- I know that if you will, you will dramatically see your opportunities increase, not because you prayed, but because God wants to be known and He has chosen you to make Him known in the earth!
- A great side-benefit will be the erasure of discontentment, because purpose will have invaded your circumstance.
- Unthankfulness will be abated as you will always be in awe of God's working through you.
- Pride will be defeated because you will see that only God can win this battle.
- And selfishness will lose it's grip because your eyes will be properly focused.

Conclusion

- As we come to the end of this session, I admonish you to consider these truths. Are you struggling with discontentment, unthankfulness, pride or selfishness?
- If we are truthful, we will all confess that these are sins that we struggle with.
- Take a moment and consider whether you are looking up, looking over or looking out? Perhaps a return to these virtues will hold the key to your victory over these sins.


1 comment:

Frank And Lela said...

1. | Looking up directs our eyes to the example of Christ and the proposition that we are to ever be cognizant of our call. Why is it difficult to keep these truths at the center of our attention? What practical steps can you take to correct this issue?

2. | Looking over refers to our responsibility towards other brothers and sisters in our body. Do you resent that reality? Do you find that you don't want to be involved in other Christian’s issues and problems? What contributes to that attitude and how can we correct that?

3. | Looking out refers to our commitment to evangelism. What are some creative ways that you have found to be effective in sharing the gospel? Do you believe that most Christians neglect the work of evangelism? If that is the case, how can that be reversed?